The Município de Tavira issued a warning regarding the expected high tides of the Gilão river on September 29
Residents, merchants and shop owners are warned in a statement issued by the Municipality of Tavira, as the Marés Vivas (perigean spring tides)of this autumn are expected to increase the levels of the Gilão waters considerably on September 28, 29 and 30. The tides will peak on the 29th.
Precaution is expected before and during floods in downtown Tavira. Therefore, the Civil Defence of the region suggest to:
- Remove equipment on the floor that can me damaged;
- Avoid flooded areas to prevent dragging toward holes in the ground or open manholes.
- Avoid parking near the river.
- Pay extra attention when performing river-related activities.
- Check the weather forecast and Civil Defence information before leaving home.
The municipality also remembers that in case of emergency the contact number in Portugal is 112.